DiCamillo Companion

Newbold House

  • Earlier Houses: An earlier house, long demolished, was built by the Eyre family on the site of the current house.

    Built / Designed For: Alexander Crawford Bromehead

    House & Family History: The recusant Eyre family came into possession of Newbold in 1570 and were here until the late 18th century. They built a long-demolished house, of which the medieval Chapel alone, recently restored, survives. By the late 18th century the Eyres sold 200 acres to the Tomlinson family, from whence the Estate came into the possession of Jonathan Bromehead, whose son, Alexander Crawford Bromehead, built, circa 1780, the stone house which is the focus of this record.

  • Chapel & Church: The Medieval Chapel of the Eyre family is extant, having been restored in the 1850s to serve as a burial chapel and restored again in the late 20th century. It was used for family burials until 1928 and is the only surviving remnant of the earlier house built here by the Eyres.

  • Title: Mausolus: The Journal of The Mausolea and Monuments Trust
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: No. 11, Mar 2005, pgs. 1, 2
    Publisher: London: The Mausolea and Monuments Trust
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Magazine

    Title: Lost Houses of Derbyshire, The
    Author: Craven, Maxwell; Stanley, Michael
    Year Published: 2002
    Reference: pg. 92
    Publisher: Derbyshire: Landmark Publishing
    ISBN: 1843060647
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Eyre family, 1570 until the 18th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Tomlinson family, 18th century. Jonathan Bromehead, 18th century; Alexander Crawford Bromehead, 18th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No