DiCamillo Companion
Scotland

Mount Melville House (Craigtoun Park)

  • Earlier Houses: An earlier classical style house (see "Images" section), sometimes call Craigtoun Park, was demolished circa 1900 and replaced by the current house.

    Built / Designed For: James Younger

    House & Family History: The Younger family sold the house and grounds to Fife County Council in 1947. The council converted the house into Craigtoun Hospital, a maternity hospital, a purpose it served until 1992; the grounds became Craigtoun Country Park, a public park.

  • Architect: Paul Waterhouse

    Date: 1903-05
    Designed: New house for James Younger

    View all houses

    Architect: James Gillespie Graham

    Date: 1820-21
    Designed: Classical style front block for John Whyte-Melville for earlier house (demolished)

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 236, 1853.

    John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, 1825. Scotland, 1830.

  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 443
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Category B

    Park Listed: Designated Garden & Designed Landscape

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: General George Melville, late 17th century; General Robert Melville, 18th century; John Whyte-Melville, 19th century; Melville family here until the early 20th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: James Younger, early 20th century; Younger family here until 1947.

    Current Ownership Type: Government

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

    Ownership Details: Since 1947 owned by the local council, who operate the grounds, through the Friends of Craigtoun, as a public park. The house is derelict.

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only

    Phone: 01334-472-013

    Email: enquiries@friendsofcraigtoun.org.uk

    Website: https://friendsofcraigtoun.org.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No