DiCamillo Companion
Ireland

Mount Juliet

  • Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house on the site of the current house.

    Built / Designed For: Somerset Butler, 1st Earl of Carrick.

    House & Family History: Mount Juliet is a three-story house of seven bays with Venetian (Palladian) windows built by the 1st Earl of Carrick, who named the new house after his wife, Juliet. Mount Juliet is noted for its delicate 1780s plasterwork in the style of Michael Stapleton.

    Collections: The contents of Mount Juliet were sold by Sotheby's in 1987.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The House, overlooking the River Nore, is today set in 1,500 acres of woodlands. In 1991 a major golf course was opened at Mount Juliet by Christy O'Connor, Sr., and Jack Nicklaus. In the 20th century Mount Juliet was famous for its stud, founded in 1915 by Major Dermot McCalmont.

  • House Listed: Unknown

    Park Listed: Unknown

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: The Rev. Thomas Bushe, 18th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Somerset Butler, 1st Earl of Carrick, 18th century; Butler family here until 1914. Major Dermot McCalmont, early 20th century; Major Victor McCalmont, late 20th century; McCalmont family here from 1914 until 1987.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel

    Ownership Details: Today Mount Juliet Hotel

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 567-773-000

    Fax: 567-773-019

    Email: reservations@mountjuliet.ie

    Website: http://www.mountjuliet.ie

    Historic Houses Member: No