The house from a hand-colored 18th century engraving
A 1778 engraving of the house from "The Copper Plate Magazine"
House & Family History: The house was named after the 1760 conquest of Montreal by Lord Amherst, commander-in-chief of British forces in North America. Also called the Fall of Montreal, the action took place between July and September 1760 during the French and Indian Wars, part of the Seven Years' War.
Collections: Giovanni Girolamo Savoldo's "Portrait of a Young Man with a Soprano Recorder" was sold from Montreal in the early 20th century to the London dealers Thos. Agnew & Sons, from whom it was purchased in 1924 by Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi of Florence. The painting remained in the count's family until circa 1967, when it was sold to the New York dealers Wildenstein & Co., from whom it was purchased by Peter Jay Sharp; it remained in Sharp's collection until his death, when it was sold by Sotheby's on January 13, 1994 for $1,542,500.
Garden & Outbuildings: All that remains today are a summer house, a gatehouse, and a large obelisk.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, 1819.
Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
Author: Worsley, Giles
Year Published: 2002
Reference: pg. 188
Publisher: London: Aurum Press
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Sotheby's Auction Catalog: The Estate of Peter Jay Sharp, Jan 13, 1994
Year Published: 1994
Reference: Item 63
Publisher: New York: Sotheby's, Inc.
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: Field Marshal Jeffery Amherst, 1st Baron Amherst, 18th century; William Pitt Amherst, 1st Earl Amherst, 19th century. Julius Runge, 1926-36.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No