DiCamillo Companion
England

Montreal (Montreal Park)

  • House & Family History: The house was named after the 1760 conquest of Montreal by Lord Amherst, commander-in-chief of British forces in North America. Also called the Fall of Montreal, the action took place between July and September 1760 during the French and Indian Wars, part of the Seven Years' War.

    Collections: Giovanni Girolamo Savoldo's "Portrait of a Young Man with a Soprano Recorder" was sold from Montreal in the early 20th century to the London dealers Thos. Agnew & Sons, from whom it was purchased in 1924 by Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi of Florence. The painting remained in the count's family until circa 1967, when it was sold to the New York dealers Wildenstein & Co., from whom it was purchased by Peter Jay Sharp; it remained in Sharp's collection until his death, when it was sold by Sotheby's on January 13, 1994 for $1,542,500.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: All that remains today are a summer house, a gatehouse, and a large obelisk.

  • Architect: William Atkinson

    Date: 1829
    Designed: Extended both sides of House for 1st Earl Amherst

    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, 1819.

  • Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
    Author: Worsley, Giles
    Year Published: 2002
    Reference: pg. 188
    Publisher: London: Aurum Press
    ISBN: 1854108204
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Sotheby's Auction Catalog: The Estate of Peter Jay Sharp, Jan 13, 1994
    Author: NA
    Year Published: 1994
    Reference: Item 63
    Publisher: New York: Sotheby's, Inc.
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat of: Field Marshal Jeffery Amherst, 1st Baron Amherst, 18th century; William Pitt Amherst, 1st Earl Amherst, 19th century. Julius Runge, 1926-36.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No