DiCamillo Companion
Scotland

Minard Castle (Knockbuie House)

  • Built / Designed For: Campbell family of Knockbuie

    House & Family History: Situated amid beautiful countryside, beside Minard Bay on the north shore of Loch Fyne, Minard Castle stands in its own grounds, .75 miles from the main Inveraray to Lochgilphead road. Built by the Campbells of Knockbuie in the 18th century, Knockbuie House was renamed Minard Castle in the mid-19th century, when a new castellated front was added. The new addition was designed by J.T. Rochead, whose works include the Wallace Monument near Stirling. From 1873 until the 1940s Minard belonged to the Lloyd family, who were related to the former onwers, the Campbell family. Subsequently the Estate was sold to the Forestry Commission, who, in turn, sold the House to the Holiday Fellowship. Later, Minard became a hotel, a purpose it served for a few years, before it was purchased by the present owner's father in 1974. In recent years Reinold Gayre has made Minard Castle his home. (We are grateful to Reinold Gayre for providing this history of Minard Castle.)

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The grounds round the House and two other nearby areas comprise 144 acres (58 hectares), much of which is planted with Christmas trees. Recently a number of trees and rhododendrons have been planted near the House as eventual replacements for those planted in the 19th century. Visitors are welcome to explore the grounds (vitally leaving all gates shut!), and they can also walk in the Forestry Commission woods. (We are grateful to Reinold Gayre for providing this history of the grounds of Minard Castle.)

  • Architect: John Thomas Rochead

    Date: Mid-19th century
    Designed: Castellated Front

    View all houses
  • House Listed: Category B

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Current Seat / Home of: Reinold Gayre

    Past Seat / Home of: Campbell family of Knockbuie, 18th century. Lloyd family, 1873 until the 1940s.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Wedding & Event Venue

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 01546-886-272

    Fax: 01546-886-272

    Email: reinoldgayre@minardcastle.com

    Website: http://www.minardcastle.com

    Historic Houses Member: No