DiCamillo Companion

Milton Hall

  • Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.

    Built / Designed For: The Rev. Dr. Samuel Knight, Canon of Ely.

    House & Family History: Milton is a late 18th century white brick house that was probably inspired by John Sloane's 1788 "Plans, Elevations and Sections of Buildings." In 1948 Milton Hall was sold to the Eastern Electricity Board, who used it as a regional headquarters until the 1980s. Between 1983 and 1985 Sinclair Research Ltd. converted the house into office space.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: During the 1950s and 60s the stableblock was demolished by the Eastern Electricity Board to make way for two office wings. The house is today situated in five acres of grounds.

  • Architect: Humphry Repton

    Date: 1789
    Designed: Grounds for The Rev. Dr. Samuel Knight

    View all houses

    Architect: William Wilkins Sr.

    Date: Circa 1789-90
    Designed: House for The Rev. Dr. Samuel Knight

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 1121
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
    Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
    Year Published: 1981
    Reference: pg. 23
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110351
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Jeremiah Pemberton, until 1767. The Rev. Dr. Samuel Knight, 1767-89. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: The Rev. Dr. Samuel Knight, 1789-90.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Offices

  • House Open to Public: No

    Phone: 01223-828-282

    Email: enquiries@miltonhallcambridge.com

    Website: https://www.miltonhallcambridge.com/

    Historic Houses Member: No