DiCamillo Companion

Middleton Park

  • Earlier Houses: An earlier house of circa 1753 was demolished in 1937 to make way for the current Lutyens house.

    House & Family History: In the 1930s the 9th Earl of Jersey commissioned Edwin and Robert Lutyens to build a new House to replace the existing house of circa 1753 (called "…large and undistinguished…" by Pevsner). The Lutyens house is in a Neo-Georgian style with the influence of French classicism. The Entrance Façade has a rusticated porch with the Jersey arms in the tympanum. Pevsner says the porch "…derives from the standard street front of a French town house of the 17th or 18th century…" The bathroom built for Lady Jersey is notable for being made of pink onyx and white marble with a cross-vaulted ceiling. During World War II Middleton was used as a base for Polish airmen. It was sold by the Jersey family soon after the end of the war, when they moved their primary seat to Radier Manor on the Isle of Jersey.

    Comments: Pevsner called Middleton "…probably the last great country house to be built in England."

  • Garden & Outbuildings: There are four square lodges with pyramidal roofs built to house staff, as well as a stuccoed Gothick style Lodge of circa 1815. A wall in the garden contains some of the Ionic columns from the demolished Georgian house.

  • Architect: Thomas Cundy, Sr.

    Date: 1806-07
    Designed: Remodeled earlier 18th century house (demolished 1937) and addded Ionic portico

    View all houses

    Architect: Edwin Landseer Lutyens

    Date: 1938
    Designed: House, together with Robert Lutyens, for 9th Earl of Jersey.

    View all houses

    Architect: Robert Lutyens

    Date: 1938
    Designed: House, together with Edwin Lutyens, for 9th Earl of Jersey.

    View all houses

    Architect: Edward Blore

    Date: Circa 1830
    Designed: Lodge for 5th Earl of Jersey

    View all houses

    Architect: John Vanbrugh

    Date: Circa 1715
    Designed: Alterations for Henry Boyle, Lord Carleton.

    View all houses

    Architect: Sanderson Miller

    Date: 1749
    Designed: Gothic Gatelodge for 3rd Earl of Jersey

    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. V, 1829.

    Country Life: C, 28, 74 plan, 1946.

  • Title: Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, The
    Author: Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus
    Year Published: 1974
    Reference: pgs. 703-704
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: 0140710450
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Sotheby's Auction Catalog: Fine Furniture & Clocks, Including Property From Two Noble English Families, Sep 10, 2007
    Author: NA
    Year Published: 2007
    Reference: pg. 188
    Publisher: London: Sotheby's
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Gerard de Camville, 13th century. Henry Boyle, 1st Baron Carleton, early 18th century. William Villiers, 3rd Earl of Jersey, 18th century; Child-Villiers family here until 1946. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: George Francis Child Villiers, 9th Earl of Jersey, 1937-46.

    Current Ownership Type: Flat Owners Company / Condo Association

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family

    Ownership Details: Converted to flats in 1974.

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No