DiCamillo Companion
DiCamillo Griffin Logo
England

Marble Hill House

  • Built / Designed For: Henrietta Howard, Countess of Suffolk.

    House & Family History: Marble Hill House was built as a Thames-side villa for Henrietta Howard, mistress of George II, between 1724 and 1729 to the designs of Roger Morris and Lord Henry Herbert, later 9th Earl of Pembroke. The proportions of Marble Hill were probably modeled after the 16th century work of Palladio at Villa Emo. Henrietta Howard, later Countess of Suffolk, was the daughter of Sir Henry Hobart of Blickling Hall, who was killed in 1701 in a duel when his daughter was thirteen. Henrietta held famous salons at Marble Hill, during which Alexander Pope and Horace Walpole were frequent guests. After Henrietta's death the House was let to a long list of tenants, none of whom stayed for long. After these tenants decamped the House became dilapidated and stood empty for many years. In 1901 William Cunard, who had purchased the Marble Hill Estate earlier, started construction on the Estate. The public outcry that ensued led to the purchase of the Estate by the London, Surrey and Middlesex County Councils and the Richmond and Twickenham Corporations. The London County Council took over the care and maintenance of the House in 1902. Marble Hill is a today a property of English Heritage.

  • Architect: Henry Herbert (Pembroke and Montgomery)

    Date: 1724-29
    Designed: Designed House, together with Roger Morris.

    View all houses

    Architect: Matthew Brettingham the Elder

    Date: Circa 1750
    Designed: Offices that joined the House with the China Room
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: Roger Morris

    Date: 1724-29
    Designed: House together with Lord Herbert, later Earl of Pembroke.

    View all houses

    Architect: Colen Campbell

    Designed: Prepared sketches for House
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: Alexander Pope

    Date: Circa 1724
    Designed: Designed park, together with Charles Bridgeman.

    View all houses

    Architect: Charles Bridgeman

    Date: Circa 1724
    Designed: Designed park, together with Alexander Pope.

    View all houses
  • Vitruvius Britannicus: C. III, pl. 93, 1725.

    Country Life: XXXIX, 394 plan, 1916.

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • "Shakespeare in Love" (1998). "The White Countess" (2005). "Derailed" (2005). "Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa!" (2006 - TV). "Fanny Hill" (2007 - TV). "All Bar Love" (2008). "Queen Victoria's Men" (2008 - TV docudrama).
  • Past Seat / Home of: Henrietta Howard, Countess of Suffolk, 18th century. William Cunard, early 20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: English Heritage

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

  • House Open to Public: Yes

    Phone: 01818-925-115

    Email: customers@english-heritage.org.uk

    Website: https://www.english-heritage.org.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No