The House from an early 20th century postcard
Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house that was demolished by Thomas Clifton in 1757 to make way for the current house.
Built / Designed For: Thomas Clifton
House & Family History: Lytham was the seat of the Clifton family for over 350 years. William, Thomas, and James Clifton all took part in the Lancashire Plot conspiracy to restore James II to the throne and were consequently all arrested and taken to the Tower of London in 1689. In the 1963 the Cliftons sold up to Guardian Royal Exchange, who purchased the House for their training center. In 1996 Guardian Royal put the House and its contents, including all the Clifton family collections, up for sale. The Lytham Town Trust was able to acquire the House in 1997 (but not the contents, which included Gillows furniture and the Clifton family portraits) with the help of a £1 million donation from British Aerospace. The Trust subsequently received funding to upgrade the West Wing of the House (formerly the Chapel) and convert it into a conference center, tea room, and restaurant.
Garden & Outbuildings: The Entrance Gates to Lytham are from Hastings Place, where they were removed with the coming of the railway. When the Clifton family sold the Estate in 1963, most of the land was sold for housing; 78 acres were retained (including two lakes) around the House, which is still intact today. The Gatehouses are listed Grade II.
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 195, 1853. 2.S. Vol. II, p. 128, 1855.
Country Life: CXXVII, 130, 188, 1960.
House Listed: Grade I
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: Thomas Clifton, 18th century; Clifton family here for for over 350 years, until 1963.
Current Ownership Type: Charity / Nonprofit
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: Owned by Lytham Town Trust