The House from a circa 1910 postcard
Earlier Houses: An earlier house, designed by James Nelthorpe in 1717, was replaced by the current house.
Built / Designed For: Stephen Lyne-Stephens
House & Family History: Stephen Lyne-Stephens spent the enormous sum of £145,000 (approximately £100 million in 2016 inflation-adjusted values using the Labour Value Commodity Index) to create the Jacobean-style Lynford Hall. The house has hosted a long line of royal visitors, including Edward VII, George V and Queen Mary, Prince Albert (later George VI), and the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII. The Forestry Commission purchased Lynford Hall in 1930. During World War II the house was requisitioned by the government and used as an officers' convalescent hospital; post-war Lynford Hall was turned into a foresters' training college. The college closed in 1957, after which the house was converted into a hotel, a purpose it has served ever since.
Garden & Outbuildings: At its peak in the mid-19th century, the estate spanned 7,718 acres. In 1924 6,200 acres were sold to the Forestry Commission and subsequently became Thetford Forest Park. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Lynford was one of the finest sporting estates in East Anglia.
Title: Creating Paradise: The Building of the English Country House, 1660-1880
Author: Wilson, Richard; Mackley, Alan
Year Published: 2000
Reference: pg. 35
Publisher: London: Hambledon and London
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published: 1981
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: James Nelthorpe, 18th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Stephen Lyne-Stephens, 19th century. Sir James Calder, 20th century. Gerald Rand, 1971-95.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel
Ownership Details: Today Lynford Hall Hotel
House Open to Public: By Appointment
Historic Houses Member: No