The Garden Facade
The Entrance Facade
Earlier Houses: There was an earlier 17th century house near the site of the current house.
Built / Designed For: Captain William McClintock-Bunbury
House & Family History: Lisnavagh is the family seat of the McClintock-Bunbury family, barons Rathdonnell, who first built a house here in 1696. In 1847, Captain William McClintock-Bunbury commissioned Daniel Robertson to build a new Gothic Revival style house, as well as gardens and pleasure grounds. Though still large today, the house was three times bigger before the demolitions of 1950-52. The gardens were restored by the current Lady Rathdonnell, whose husband, the 5th Baron Rathdonnell, is the great-great-grandson of Captain McClintock-Bunbury. The Bunbury family claims descent from Baron de St. Pierre, a Norman knight who fought under William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. This branch of the Bunbury family left England in the 1660s and moved to Co. Carlow as tenants of the 1st Duke of Ormonde, from whom they rented land at Lisnavagh. They purchased the property from the Ormonde estate in 1702. In 1947 Evelyn Waugh considered buying Lisnavagh (he offered £10,000, while the sellers were asking £20,000). Co. Carlow had more country houses than any other county in Ireland by the 19th century. Only two houses in Carlow were burned during the Troubles.
Garden & Outbuildings: In the 19th century the Lisnavagh Estate stood at 6,000 acres.
House Listed: Unknown
Park Listed: Unknown
Current Seat / Home of: William and Emily McClintock-Bunbury; McClintock-Bunbury family here since 1696.
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Captain William McClintock-Bunbury, 19th century; Thomas Benjamin McClintock-Bunbury, 5th Baron Rathdonnell, 20th-21st centuries.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
Ownership Details: Available for weddings and events