The Petit Point Room from an early 20th century postcard
Earlier Houses: Lethington Castle, an earlier 15th century tower house, was incorporated into the current house.
House & Family History: Described by Historic Scotland as "one of Scotland's most ancient and notable houses," Lennoxlove has, at its core, a 15th century tower house that was originally known as Lethington Castle. Over the years the house has been altered and added to many times, with significant work carried out in the 17th, 19th, and 20th centuries. Robert Maitland of Thirlestane acquired the Lethington Estate in 1345. The Maitlands, later earls of Lauderdale, constructed the earliest part of the house, the L-plan tower house. In 1548, as part of the Auld Alliance, Mary of Guise stayed at Lethington when she came to see Haddington with Piero Strozzi. In 1549 Lethington was burned by English troops. The Lethington Castle Estate was purchased by the trustees of Frances Teresa Stuart, Duchess of Richmond and Lennox, following her death in 1702 for the benefit of her "neare and deare kinsman the said Walter Stuart" (the 6th Lord Blantyre). The duchess's will stipulated that the estate should be called "Lennox's Love to Blantyre," which was quickly shortened to Lennoxlove. Lennoxlove remained in the Stuart (Stewart) family for almost 200 years, until the death in 1900 of the 12th Lord Blantyre without male heirs, whereupon the estate was inherited by his daughter, Ellen, and her husband, Sir David Baird, 3rd Bt. In 1946 the 14th Duke of Hamilton purchased Lennoxlove. In 1941, when Rudolf Hess crashed his plane over Scotland during World War II, he was believed to be on his way to see the duke (who was then living at Dungavel Castle, near Glasgow) to discuss peace between Britain and Germany. It's likely that Hess targeted the Duke of Hamilton because he believed that the duke was sympathetic to Germany. This was most likely because, as a member of the British Parliament, Lord Clydesdale (as he was then) flew his own plane to the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin (he had been invited to observe the games by the German government as part of a multi-party parliamentary group). The 14th Duke was a notable and groundbreaking pilot: flying in formation higher than ever before attempted, Lord Clydesdale was the chief pilot on the first flight over Mount Everest in 1933. One of Hess's Messerschmitt engines from his ill-fated flight to Scotland is on display at the RAF Museum; the Imperial War Museum has, in its collection, another engine and part of the fuselage.
Collections: The outstanding art collection at Lennoxlove features one of Scotland's most important collections of portraits, including works by Canaletto, van Dyck, Lely, Kneller, and Raeburn. The collection also contains the Boulle cabinet given to the Duchess of Hamilton by King Charles II, as well as important pieces of furniture and porcelain, the majority of which came from Hamilton Palace, a former seat of the dukes of Hamilton and Scotland's greatest country house (demolished). Mary, Queen of Scots, features vividly at Lennoxlove, with a number of objects that belonged to the doomed queen in the collection, including what is believed to have been her death mask, a silver casket that held the letters that implicated and led to her execution, and a sapphire ring given by Lord John Hamilton to Mary. There is also the compass and map carried by Rudolf Hess when he flew to Scotland in 1941 on a mission to meet with the 14th Duke in hopes of ending the war between Germany and Britain. Princess Pauline Borghese's nécessaire de voyage was sold to the National Museums of Scotland in 1986 for £390,000. Gilbert Jackson's John Lord Belasyse, dated 1636, was sold at Sotheby's on July 15, 1987 to the National Portrait Gallery for £176,000. Daniel Mytens's 1st Duke of Hamilton, dated 1629, and Oskar Kokoschka's (14th) Duke and Duchess of Hamilton were sold in 1969 to the National Portrait Gallery of Scotland for a total price of £440,000. Sir Anthony van Dyck's 3rd Marquis (later 1st Duke) of Hamilton was sold for £2.5 million.
Garden & Outbuildings: The house is set in a park of 460 acres of mixed woodland.
Country Life: XXXV, 522 plan, 1914. CVII, 230, 1950.
Title: Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage, 1990
Author: Kidd, Charles; Williamson, David (Editors)
Year Published: 1990
Reference: pg. P 560
Publisher: London: Debrett's Peerage Limited (New York: St. Martin's Press, Inc.)
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Disintegration of a Heritage: Country Houses and their Collections, 1979-1992, The
Author: Sayer, Michael
Year Published: 1993
Publisher: Norfolk: Michael Russell (Publishing)
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Category A
Park Listed: Designated Garden & Designed Landscape
Current Seat / Home of: Alexander Douglas Douglas-Hamilton, 16th Duke of Hamilton and 13th Duke of Brandon; Douglas-Hamilton family here since 1946.
Past Seat / Home of: John Maitland, 1st Lord Maitland of Thirlestane, until 1595; John Maitland, 1st Duke of Lauderdale, until 1682. Walter Stuart, 6th Lord Blantyre, 18th century. Sir David Baird, 3rd Bt., early 20th century. Douglas Douglas-Hamilton, 14th Duke of Hamilton and 11th Duke of Brandon, 1946-73; Angus Alan Douglas Douglas-Hamilton, 15th Duke of Hamilton and 12th Duke of Brandon, 1973-2010.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home