The house from a 1915 postcard
Built / Designed For: Philip John Miles
House & Family History: Leigh Court is a severe Greek Revival style ashlar house built of Bath stone in the early 19th century for the wealthy merchant and manufacturer Philip Miles. The house is noted for its elaborate interiors, particular its Greek style plasterwork and the square entrance hall, which features a ring of eight marble Ionic columns that supports a saucer dome. Leigh Court was a hospital until 1984, after which it was converted to a conference center.
Collections: Philip Miles purchased an early 19th century English oak, ormolu, and marble table at the famous Fonthill Abbey sale and installed it in Leigh Court, together with the famous "Altieri" Claudes, which had been in the collection of Fonthill Splendens.
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: Philip John Miles, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Wedding & Event Venue
Ownership Details: Owned by JT Group.
House Open to Public: By Appointment
Historic Houses Member: No