DiCamillo Companion
England

Kings Weston House (King's Weston) (Kingsweston)

  • Built / Designed For: Rebuilt for Sir Edward Southwell

    House & Family History: Kings Weston is noted for its Vanbrughian massing of six huge chimneystacks into an arcade of connected arches on the roof, and for its fine hanging staircase, Vanburgh's only surviving major example in timber. In 1938 the house was sold to the Bristol Corporation for government use. In 1970 Kings Weston and 38 acres of grounds were acquired for £305,000 by the Bristol Watch Committee for use as a detective training center. During the 1974 local government reorganization, the house was transferred to the ownership of the Avon and Somerset Police Authority and became a police training college. In 1995 the authority vacated Kings Weston, after which the house was boarded up and subsequently vandalized. In 2000 John Hardy acquired the house, its gatehouse, and five acres of land, and spent £2 million refurbishing Kings Weston for use as a wedding and event venue. The first floor includes a tearoom, a restaurant, and a gym.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: In axis with the tripartite window of the house is the Banqueting Loggia; there is also another loggia at the north end of the terrace. In addition, still extant is a bakehouse, the Penpole Lodge, the Home Lodge, the Park Lodge, and Henbury Lodge, some of which have been converted into residences. The stables are across the road from the house to the east and feature a long pedimented range with projecting wings and are today (2002) the Welfare Division of the Avon & Somerset Police Force. The house today sits in a 28-acre park.

  • Architect: John Vanbrugh

    Date: 1710
    Designed: House for Sir Edward Southwell

    View all houses

    Architect: Robert Mylne

    Date: 1763-67
    Designed: Stables and Lodges (1763) and Saloon (1767)

    View all houses

    Architect: Thomas Hopper

    Date: 1846-47
    Designed: Alterations to House and service block (demolished 1938)

    View all houses

    Architect: Lancelot Brown

    Date: 18th century
    Designed: Landscaping, replacing 17th century parkscape.

    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. IV, 1828.

  • Title: Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, The
    Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus
    Year Published: 1958
    Reference: pgs. 469-470
    Publisher: London: Penguine Books
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Past Seat / Home of: Sir Edward Southwell, early 18th century; Edward Southwell Clifford, 19th century; Southwell family here 1679-1833. Miles family, 1833-1938.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Wedding & Event Venue

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 01179-852-335

    Fax: 01179-380-555

    Email: info@kingswestonhouse.co.uk

    Website: https://www.kingswestonhouse.co.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No