An 1829 engraving of the first house (demolished) from "Neale's Views of Seats"
House Replaced By: The first King's Walden was a neo-Elizabethan style house that was replaced circa 1970 by the second (current) house, a neo-Georgian house designed by Quinlan Terry and Raymond Erith for Sir Thomas Pilkington. The new house has a front of five bays by two stories with arched windows and two-bay wings.
Comments: "Country Life" magazine called the new Kings Walden Bury "one of the most handsome Classical country houses built after the Second World War...;" and Pevsner's "Hertfordshire" calls the new house a "sumptuous neo-Georgian mansion."
Architect: Raymond Charles ErithDate: 1969-71
Architect: John Quinlan TerryDate: 1969-71
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. V, 1829.
Country Life: CLIV, 858, 974, 1973.
Title: English Houses, 1200-1800: The Hertfordshire Evidence
Author: Smith, J.T.
Year Published: 1992
Reference: pg. 123
Publisher: London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office
Book Type: Softback
Title: Country Life (magazine)
Year Published: NA
Reference: Feb 7, 2002, pg. 49
Publisher: London: TI Media
Book Type: Magazine
Title: Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, The
Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget
Year Published: 2000
Publisher: London: Penguin Books
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Seat of: Sir Thomas Henry Milborne-Swinnerton-Pilkington, 14th Bt.
Past Seat of: SEATED AT FIRST HOUSE: William Hale, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No