Earlier Houses: A 16th century castle existed on the site, parts of which were incorporated into the current house.
House & Family History: Kilcornan was originally a 16th century castle around which the Reddington family built the current house (incorporating the old tower) in the 1830s.
Collections: A.W.N. Pugin presented a Gothick style library table (designed by him circa 1840 and made in London) to his friend Sir Thomas Reddington on the occasion of Reddington's marriage, which took place at Talbot Castle, Co. Meath, in 1842. The table was in the hands of the French dealers Didier Aaron in 1992. A similar Pugin library table is today in the collection of Eastnor Castle (it was in the seminal "The Treasure Houses of Britain" exhibition at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1985-86).
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 5, 1855.
House Listed: Unknown
Park Listed: Unknown
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Ulick de Burgo, 16th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir Thomas Reddington, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Charity / Nonprofit
Primary Current Ownership Use: Other
Ownership Details: Kilcornan is today a training center for people with learning disabilities.
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No