Built / Designed For: Hinman Allenby
House & Family History: During World War II Kenwick Hall was used as a center to train the Home Guard. On March 19, 1944 a German bomb set the house on fire, causing considerable damage. Kenwick Hall, which was poorly repaired after the fire, was demolished in the early 1950s and replaced in the early 1960s with a replica house.
Garden & Outbuildings: The house is today set in 320 acres. The late 19th century Grade II-listed stables are extant.
Architect: Temple Lushington MooreDate: Circa 1880s-90s
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT 18TH CENTURY HOUSE: Hinman Allenby, late 18th century. Thomas Garfit, late 19th century. Colonel O. Dixon, 20th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Dixon family, until 1970. Paul Harvey, 1970s; Gordon Harvey, until 1980. Paul Tointon, 1980-88.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel
Ownership Details: The 20th century house is today a hotel.
House Open to Public: By Appointment
Historic Houses Member: No