DiCamillo Companion

Invergordon Castle (Inverbreakie Castle)

  • Earlier Houses: The first house on the site was a 13th century castle, probably built of wood that was later replaced by stone. In 1742 a new classical style house (the second house) was designed by John Adam for Sir John Gordon. When this house was completed in 1755, the old medieval castle was allowed to fall into ruin. In 1805 the Adam house was damaged by a serious fire. In the 1870s the old castle and the 18th century house were both demolished to make way for a new house (the third house). This very large Elizabethan style house was demolished in 1928 (see photo in "Images" section).

  • Architect: Alexander Ross

    Date: 1872
    Designed: Third House for Robert Bruce Aeneas Macleod (demolished 1928)

    View all houses

    Architect: John Adam

    Date: 1742-55
    Designed: Second House for Sir John Gordon (demolished 1870s)

    View all houses
  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Innes family, circa 1500 until the 1630s. Ross family, 17th century. Sir William Gordon, early 18th century; Sir John Gordon, mid-18th century. Macleod family, 18th century. SEATED AT 19TH CENTURY HOUSE: Robert Bruce Aeneas Macleod, 19th century. Sir William Martineau, early 20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No