The House from a 1903 postcard
Earlier Houses: An earlier manor house on the site was demolished by Sir Walter Chetwynd when he built the current house.
Built / Designed For: Sir Walter Chetwynd
House & Family History: Ingestre is a two-story Jacobean rose brick house with stone dressings, ornamental brick stacks, and stone mullioned windows. After a fire in 1882 most of the interiors were rebuilt in the Victorian style.
Comments: Pevsner calls the South Facade of Ingestre, built by Sir Walter Chetwynd, circa 1638, "the foremost display of Jacobean grandeur in the county." Pevsner goes on to say that the Yellow Drawing Room is the "most remarkable room" at Ingestre.
Garden & Outbuildings: The Ingestre Pavilion was erected circa 1752. The architect is unknown, though it can be established that the Pavilion was built by a local mason-architect by the name of Charles Trubshaw. By 1802 all of the building behind the Pavilion façade had been demolished. The Landmark Trust restored the Pavilion and installed new rooms designed by Philip Jebb. The Pavilion is now let by Landmark as a holiday rental.
Architect: Samuel WyattDate: Circa 1770s
Architect: Joseph WyattDate: Circa 1770s
Architect: John NashDate: 1808-10
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. IV, 1821.
Country Life: CXXII, 772, 874, 924, 1957.
Title: James "Athenian" Stuart, 1713-1788: The Rediscovery of Antiquity
Author: Soros, Susan Weber (Editor)
Year Published: 2006
Reference: pg. 329
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Landmark Trust Handbook, 19th Edition, The
Year Published: 2001
Publisher: Berkshire: The Landmark Trust
Book Type: Softback
Title: Buildings of England: Staffordshire, The
Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus
Year Published: 1975
Publisher: London: Penguin Books
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Walter Chetwynd, 17th century; Chetwynd family here until 1767. John Chetwynd Chetwynd-Talbot, 1st Earl Talbot, 18th century; Admiral Henry John Chetwynd-Talbot, 18th Earl of Shrewsbury, 3rd Earl Talbot, and 18th Earl of Waterford, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Mixed Use
Ownership Details: Owned by Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council and operated as the Ingestre Hall Residential Arts Centre. The House is available for civil marriage ceremonies, receptions, concerts, and evening dinners. The Ingestre folly is operated by The Landmark Trust as a holiday rental.