DiCamillo Companion
England

Horton Hall (Horton House)

  • House & Family History: The Parr family (relations of Catherine Parr, wife of Henry VIII) were seated here in the 16th century.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The Menagerie (qv) is one of the surviving follies of Horton House. Now a private home, the Grade II* folly was turned into a house by Gervase Jackson-Stops in the late 20th century. The Menagerie is a one-story building with corner pavilions and a raised central area. The design has recently been attributed to Thomas Wright, the astronomer, who did work for Lord Halifax at Horton post 1739. Near The Menagerie is an old fish pond and what are believed to be the remains of a Norman motte-and-bailey. For years there have been rumors that there are a series of tunnels leading from The Menagerie to the Ice House, and possibly other locations.

  • Architect: Sanderson Miller

    Date: 1740s
    Designed: Gothic Bridges

    View all houses

    Architect: Daniel Garrett

    Date: Probably 1730s
    Designed: Recased House, including new Palladian style ranges, for 1st Earl of Halifax.

    View all houses

    Architect: Thomas Wright

    Date: Circa 1760
    Designed: Alterations to West Facade for 2nd Earl of Halifax

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Reference: pgs. 394-395, 1101
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: Follies, Grottoes and Garden Buildings
    Author: Headley, Gwyn; Meulenkamp, Wim
    Year Published: 1999
    Publisher: London: Aurum Press Ltd.
    ISBN: 1854106252
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat of: William Parr, 1st Baron Parr of Horton, 16th century. George Montagu, 1st Earl of Halifax, 18th century; George Montagu-Dunk, 2nd Earl of Halifax, 18th century. Sir Robert Gunning, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No