DiCamillo Companion

Hornby Castle

  • House & Family History: Hornby is a medieval manor house of the Conyers family that was rebuilt on a large scale by William, 1st Lord Conyers, circa 1500. The house was largely rebuilt again in the 18th century for Robert Darcy, 4th Earl of Holderness. James "Athenian" Stuart probably (attribution is uncertain) performed alterations in the 1750s for Lord Holderness, followed by John Carr, who, in the 1760s, added the South Wing (the only surviving fragment of the house), the East Wing (demolished 1930), and a variety of outbuildings. In the early 20th century the 11th Duke of Leeds took the decision to sell his ancestral home (Hornby had been owned by the dukes of Leeds since 1778) and move to the Italian Riviera. In November 1929 it was announced that the castle and its contents were to be sold by Messrs. Lofts and Warner; in January 1930 the castle and estate were purchased by John Todd of Northallerton, who broke up the estate and held a six-day sale of the contents of the house. A demolition sale was held in September of 1930, when stonework and other architectural fragments were sold, soon thereafter the majority of the house was demolished, leaving only the 18th century South Wing, stripped and gutted, standing. The grandiose late 15th century doorcase was sold to William Randolph Hearst and ultimately ended up in The Burrell Collection, Glasgow, where it remains today.

    Collections: Hornby contained an exceptionally important collection of late Stuart furniture originally made at the order of the 1st Duke of Leeds for Kiveton Park, another Yorkshire seat of the dukes of Leeds. One of a pair of pendant views of St. Mark's, Venice, by Canaletto, purchased by the 4th Duke of Leeds, Francis Osborne (1685-1741), and formerly in the collection of Hornby, is today in the collection of the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University. A set of 16 portraits of early English kings and queens that formerly hung at Hornby is today in the collection of the National Portrait Gallery, London. Though made by different hands or workshops in the late 16th and early 17th centuries, the portraits are all of English manufacture. In 1930 there was a six-day sale of the contents of the house.

  • Architect: James Stuart

    Date: 1750s
    Designed: Alterations for 4th Earl of Holderness
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: John Carr

    Date: 1760s
    Designed: South Wing (the only surviving fragment of the House), the East Wing (demolished in 1930), and a variety of outbuildings for 4th Earl of Holderness.

    View all houses

    Architect: Richard Bentley

    Date: 1760
    Designed: Gothic style room for 4th Earl of Holderness

    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. I, 1824.

    Country Life: XX, 54, 1906. XXXI, 475 [Furniture], 1912. XLVII, 720 [Furniture], 1920.

  • Title: Burrell Collection, The
    Author: Norwich, John Julius (Introduction)
    Year Published: 2001
    Reference: pg. 8
    Publisher: London: HarperCollins Publishers
    ISBN: 0902752553
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
    Author: Worsley, Giles
    Year Published: 2002
    Reference: pg. 72
    Publisher: London: Aurum Press
    ISBN: 1854108204
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Walford's County Families of the United Kingdom, 1914
    Author: NA
    Year Published: 1914
    Publisher: London: Spottiswoode & Co.
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Seat of: Roger and Julia Clutterbuck; Clutterbuck family here since 1936.

    Past Seat of: St. Quintin family, 14th century. William Conyers, 1st Baron Conyers, 15th century; Robert Conyers Darcy, 4th Earl of Holderness, 18th century. Francis Osborne, Marquess of Carmarthen and 5th Duke of Leeds, 18th century; Osborne family here 1778 until 1929. Sir Harold Parkinson, 1929-30. Major-General Walter E. Clutterbuck, 20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No