The House from "Morris's County Seats," circa 1875.
House & Family History: The estate of Holker originally belonged to the Cartmel Priory and Furness Abbey. During the Dissolution of the Monasteries the land was granted to the Preston family of Lancashire. The Estate passed through by marriage until it was left to Lord George Augustus Cavendish, younger brother of the 4th Duke of Devonshire. Holker Hall was built in the early 17th century, but was almost completely rebuilt by the 7th Duke of Devonshire in the mid-19th century. One wing dates from the early years of Queen Victoria's reign; another wing was built in 1871 after a fire. The interiors contain fine 17th century paneling from a nearby farmhouse and notable 18th century staircases.
Garden & Outbuildings: The grounds contain the world's largest slate sundial. Winner of the HHA/Christie's Garden of the Year Award, 1991.
Architect: John CarrDate: 18th century
Country Life: CLXVII, 1470, 1980. CLXVIII, 18, 1980.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Reference: pgs. 225, 1035
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
Title: American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, The
Author: Morris, William (Editor)
Year Published: 1973
Reference: pg. 132
Publisher: New York: American Heritage Publishing Co.
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Grade II
Seat of: Lord Cavendish of Furness
Past Seat of: Preston family. Lord George Cavendish, 18th century. William Cavendish, 2nd Earl of Burlington, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home