House & Family History: In the 1840s Sir John Lubbock II erected a new house at High Elms in a classical Italian style. Lubbock's son, Lord Avebury, was a prominent public figure of his day and was responsible for the Open Spaces Act, which became law in 1896. Interestingly, it was this law that enabled his former estate to be transferred to Bromley Council in 1965 as a Green Belt open space. Sadly, the House was destroyed by fire in 1967, but the grounds are maintained and open to the public.
Garden & Outbuildings: High Elms today encompasses 250 acres of countryside, formal gardens, and a 150-acre golf course. In the 1840s Sir John Lubbock II populated High Elms with trees collected from around the world. Fives Court and other outbuildings are extant.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: John Birkbeck Lubbock, 2nd Baron Avebury, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: Grounds owned by Bromley Council
House Open to Public: Grounds Only
Historic Houses Member: No