DiCamillo Companion

Hatfield Priory

  • House & Family History: John Wright rebuilt Hatfield Priory between 1768 and 1770, though who the architect was for this work is uncertain. The Marianhill Mission Society, a religious order of men in the Roman Catholic Church dedicated to preaching the word of god in foreign missions, purchased the house in 1935. A speculator purchased Hatfield Priory in 1972 and removed the outbuildings, and, for a brief time, the house was used as a school. Hatfield was purchased in 1979 by the Cowell family, who saved it from dereliction and did significant restoration work. In April of 2006 Hatfield Priory was listed for sale for £3.25 million.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Richard Woods landscaped the grounds in the 1760s and 1770s. A speculator purchased the estate in 1972 and removed the outbuildings. The current owners have restored the gardens to Woods's original designs and have built a new Gothick Summerhouse that incorporates fragments from a ruined folly at Wardour Castle.

  • Architect: John Phillips

    Date: 1768-70
    Designed: Rebuilt house for John Wright
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: Thomas Wright

    Date: 1768-70
    Designed: Rebuilt house for John Wright

    View all houses

    Architect: Richard Woods

    Date: 1760-70s
    Designed: Landscaping

    View all houses
  • Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
    Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
    Year Published: 1981
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110351
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Georgian: The Magazine of the Georgian Group, The
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: January 1999, pg. 14
    Publisher: London: The Georgian Group
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Magazine

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Past Seat / Home of: Alleyn family, mid-16th century until 1766. Wright family, 1766-1928. Charles Tennant, 1928-35 (rented from 1912). Cowell family, 1979-2006.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No