DiCamillo Companion

Harlsey Castle (East Harlsey Castle)

  • Built / Designed For: Sir James Strangeways

    House & Family History: Surrounded by the remains of a moat, the ruins of Harlsey Castle, which was mentioned in the "Domesday Book," remain in the private ownership of the Kirk family, who make their home in the Grade II*-listed Harlsey Castle Farmhouse, the fabric of which incorporates elements of the medieval castle.

    Collections: A fine marquetry cabinet, made in London, circa 1699 for Harsley Castle, is today in the collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum, London.

  • Title: V&A Guide to Period Styles: 400 Years of British Art and Design, The
    Author: Jackson, Anna; Hinton, Morna
    Year Published: 2002
    Reference: pg. 36
    Publisher: London: V&A Publications
    ISBN: 0810965909
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, The
    Author: Pevsner; Nikolaus
    Year Published: 1966
    Reference: pg. 151
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Not Listed

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Current Seat / Home of: Kirk family

    Past Seat / Home of: Sir James Strangeways, 15th century; Richard Strangeways, until 1488; Strangeways family here until 1541. Thomas Dacre, 4th Baron Dacre, 16th century. George Lawson, 18th century. Henry Thynne Lascelles, 4th Earl of Harewood, 1860s.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Ruinous

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No