DiCamillo Companion
England

Harewood House (Harewood Park)

  • Earlier Houses: There was an older Tudor house on the site, elements of which were probably incorporated into the 18th century house.

    House & Family History: The Harewood Estate was purchased by Bennet Hoskyns, 1st Bt., in 1654 and remained in the hands of his descendants until the late 19th century. The house was rebuilt by the 7th Baronet, Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, in the early 19th century, leaving it with an impressive 11-bay garden facade that featured a grand porch with Tuscan columns. In 1941 Harewood Park was sold to Guy's Hospital, who used the house as an auxiliary hospital during World War II. The poor condition the house was left in after the war ended led to the demolition of Harewood House in 1952. At the direction of Prince Charles, the 900-acre estate was purchased by the Duchy of Cornwall in 2000.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: All that remains of the original estate buildings today, besides the church, is the pedimented gate lodge, which sports a portico of two pairs of Tuscan columns.

    Chapel & Church: The 1864 Church of St. Denis is extant.

  • Architect: William Atkinson

    Date: Circa 1805
    Designed: Alterations for Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, 7th Bt.

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 81
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Telegraph, The (newspaper)
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: Jan 31, 2007 article by Nick Britten on Harewood Park
    Publisher: London: Telegraph Media Group Ltd.
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Newspaper

    Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume II: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire
    Author: Reid, Peter
    Year Published: 1980
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110319
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Sir Bennet Hoskyns, 1st Bt., 17th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir Chandos Hoskyns, 5th Bt., until 1773; Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, 6th Bt., 1773-1802; Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, 7th Bt., 1802-62; Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, 8th Bt., 1862-77; Sir John Leigh Hoskyns, 9th Bt., 1877-92; Hoskyns family here from 1654 until 1892. Henry Harrison Parry, 1892-1908; Parry family here until 1927. Capt. W.F. Campbell, 1930s.

    Current Ownership Type: The Crown / Royal Family

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

    Ownership Details: The estate is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall.

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No