DiCamillo Companion

Hanbury Hall (Spernall Hall)

  • Earlier Houses: The current house probably stands on the site of the previous mansion, Spernall Hall.

    House & Family History: Hanbury is a William and Mary house famed for its fine painted ceilings and staircase by James Thornhill. The design of the house was influenced by Clarendon House, built between 1664 and 1667 to the designs of Sir Roger Pratt for the lord chancellor, Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon. (Clarendon House was a palace situated at the top of St. James's Street in the Piccadilly section of London; yet for all its grandeur, it had a short life, being demolished in 1684, one year after Lord Clarendon's death.) At Caumsett, the Marshall Field II estate on New York's Long Island, architect John Russell Pope designed, in the 1920s, the façade of the main house in emulation of Hanbury's (and Belton House's) façade.

    Collections: Hanbury is home to the Watney Collection of fine porcelain and Dutch flower paintings.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The grounds include an orangery, ice house, pavilions, and a working mushroom house. The 20-acre garden, recreated in keeping with the period of the house, is surrounded by 395 acres of parkland.

  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 210, 1853.

    Country Life: XXXIX, 502, 1916. CXLIII, 18, 66, 1968.

  • Title: Belton House Guidebook - 1992
    Author: Tinniswood, Adrian
    Year Published: 1992
    Reference: pg. 11
    Publisher: London: The National Trust
    ISBN: 0707801133
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: John Russell Pope: Architect of Empire
    Author: Bedford, Steven McLeod
    Year Published: 1998
    Reference: pg. 92
    Publisher: New York: Rizzoli International Publications, Inc.
    ISBN: 0847820866
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Past Seat / Home of: Edward Vernon, until 1666; Thomas Vernon, early 18th century; Sir George Vernon, until 1940; Vernon family here until 1953.

    Current Ownership Type: The National Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

  • House Open to Public: Yes

    Phone: 01527-821-214

    Fax: 01527-821-251

    Email: hanburyhall@nationaltrust.org.uk

    Website: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No