The House from a circa 1921 postcard
Earlier Houses: There was earlier 15th century Hadham Hall, but not on the same site.
Built / Designed For: Capel family
House & Family History: The current brick house circa 1575 house was built by the Capel family. Originally Hadham was of four ranges around an inner courtyard; the surviving house is considerably smaller, with only the West Range, half of the South Range, and the main entrance extant. In 1948 Hadham Hall was sold to the Hertfordshire County Council, who converted the House into a school. After the school closed in 1990, Hadham was reconverted to a private residence.
Title: Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, The
Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget
Year Published: 2000
Reference: pgs. 240-241
Publisher: London: Penguin Books
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat of: Arthur Capell, 1st Baron Capell of Hadham, 17th century; Algernon George de Vere Capel, 8th Earl of Essex, 20th century. William Minet, 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No