DiCamillo Companion

Goodrich Court

  • Built / Designed For: Sir Samuel Rush Meyrick

    House & Family History: During World War II Goodrich Court was home to Felsted School; after the War it remained empty until it was demolished in 1950. The gates from Goodrich were presented to the College of Arms, London, by Blevins Davis to replace the College's gates that were used as scrap metal during World War II.

    Collections: In the 19th century Sir Samuel Rush Meyrick formed at Goodrich Court one of the most important collections of arms and armor in Europe. After Sir Samuel's death in 1848, Goodrich Court and the Meyrick Collection passed to his cousin, Augustus Meyrick, who exhibited the arms and armor in 1869 at the South Kensington Museum (today the Victoria & Albert Museum). After the British Museum refused to buy the collection, Augustus sold-off individual pieces to private collectors (several pieces were donated to the BM). Many of the most important parts of the collection were purchased by Augustus Wollaston-Franks, who later donated them to the British Museum. Some of the best pieces also ended up in the Wallace Collection. In 1830 Sir Samuel published book on his collection written by Joseph Skelton entitled "Engraved Illustrations of Ancient Arms and Armour from the Collection at Goodrich Court Herefordshire After the Drawings and With the Descriptions of Dr. Meyrick." The "Images" section displays one page from the book.

  • Architect: Edward Blore

    Date: 1828-31
    Designed: House

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: Art and Architecture of London: An Illustrated Guide, The
    Author: Saunders, Ann
    Year Published: 1984
    Publisher: Oxford: Phaidon Press Limited
    ISBN: 0714823201
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Sir Samuel Rush Meyrick, 19th century. H.C. Moffat, early 20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No