DiCamillo Companion
England

Gilling Castle

  • House & Family History: The Tower house was built for Sir Thomas Etton in the late 14th century, with late 16th century alterations for Sir William Fairfax. In the early 18th century there was extensive remodeling of the West Facade and wings added by William Wakefield for the 5th or 6th Viscount Fairfax. Since 1930 Gilling has been home to Ampleforth College (since 2001 St. Martin's Ampleforth School), a private prep school run by the Benedictine monks. The founder (1802) of Ampleforth College, Fr. Anselm Bolton, was the former chaplain of Lady Anne Fairfax at Gilling Castle (she built him a lodge two miles from the Castle, which later became the first school). The war hero Lord Kitchener lived at Broome Park, Kent, in the early 20th century and commissioned the architects Blow & Billerey to redecorate the House, the high point of which was the Hall, complete with a plaster ceiling modeled on one at Gilling Castle. The Gallery from Gilling is now in the Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, County Durham. In 1929 William Randolph Hearst purchased the English oak paneling and stained glass from the Great Chamber and had them shipped to the United States, where they remained in crates for 23 years; in 1952 they were restored to Gilling.

  • Architect: William Wakefield

    Date: Early 18th century
    Designed: Remodeled West Front and wings for the 5th or 6th Viscount Fairfax

    View all houses

    Architect: William Wakefield

    Date: Post 1719
    Designed: Remodeled House for 8th Viscount Fairfax
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 94, 1853.

    Country Life: XXIV, 416, 1908. LXV, 584 [Great Chamber], 1929.

  • Title: English Country House: A Tapestry of Ages, The
    Author: Maroon, Fred J.
    Year Published: 1987
    Reference: pg. 45
    Publisher: Virginia: Thomasson-Grant
    ISBN: 0934738254
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Reference: pg. 1016
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: National Geographic (magazine)
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: Nov 1985, pg. 679
    Publisher: Washington, DC: National Geographic Society
    ISBN: 00279358
    Book Type: Magazine

    Title: Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, The
    Author: Newman, John
    Year Published: 1969
    Reference: pg. 161
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
    Author: Worsley, Giles
    Year Published: 2002
    Reference: pg. 13
    Publisher: London: Aurum Press
    ISBN: 1854108204
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Past Seat of: Sir Thomas Etton, late 14th century. Sir William Fairfax, late 16th century; Thomas Fairfax, 4th Viscount Fairfax of Emley, 17th century.

    Current Ownership Type: School

    Primary Current Ownership Use: School

    Ownership Details: Today St. Martin's Ampleforth College, part of the St. Laurence Education Trust.

  • House Open to Public: No

    Phone: 01439-766-000

    Fax: 01439-788-330

    Email: admin@ampleforth.org.uk

    Website: http://www.stmartins.ampleforth.org.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No