DiCamillo Companion

Gateshead Park House

  • House & Family History: The estate was once the bishops of Durham's park in Gateshead. William Cotesworth became lord of the manor in 1716 and proceeded to make improvements on the land, expanding the river frontage for industries like foundries, glass and chemical works, and roperies. Gateshead Park House was acquired by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1857; they sold much of the property as building land and demolished the House. The firm of Clarke later acquired the estate; NEI Clark Chapman continues to own Gateshead Estate today.

  • Architect: Unknown (designed by an unknown architect)

    Date: 1723
    Designed: Rebuilt House for William Cotesworth

    View all houses

    Architect: James Gibbs

    Date: 1729-33
    Designed: Enlarged for Coteworth's son-in-law, Henry Ellison.

    View all houses
  • Title: Lost Houses of County Durham
    Author: Meadows, Peter; Waterson, Edward
    Year Published: 1993
    Publisher: Yorkshire: Jill Raines
    ISBN: 0951649418
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat / Home of: William Cotesworth, 18th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

    Ownership Details: The Estate is owned by NEI Clark Chapman

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No