The House from a 1922 postcard
Built / Designed For: Frances, Marchioness of Londonderry.
House & Family History: Garron is a castle of black basalt perched on the top of a cliff. It was built by the famous Frances, Marchioness of Londonderry, daughter and heiress of the immensely wealthy Sir Henry Vane-Tempest, who derived his fortune from Durham coalfields. In 1898 the Castle became a hotel; it was gutted by fire between the First and Second World Wars. Winston Churchill inherited the Garron Estate in the early 20th century from a distant cousin. On September 3, 1951 (the feast day of St. MacNissi) Garron was officially opened as St. MacNissi's College, a diocesan grammar school for boys. It is today known as St. Killian's College, the result of a merger of St. MacNissi's College, St. Comgall's College, and St. Aloysius High School.
Title: Chartwell Guidebook
Year Published: 2002
Reference: pg. 13
Publisher: London: The National Trust
Book Type: Softback
Title: Guide to Irish Country Houses, A
Author: Bence-Jones, Mark
Year Published: 1988
Reference: pg. 132
Publisher: London: Constable and Company
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Unknown
Park Listed: Unknown
Past Seat / Home of: Frances, Marchioness of Londonderry, 19th century; George Henry Robert Charles William Vane-Tempest, 5th Marquess of Londonderry, 19th century. Sir Winston Churchill, 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: School
Primary Current Ownership Use: School
Ownership Details: Today St. Killian's College