An 1830 engraving of the House from "Neale's Views of Seats"
Earlier Houses: Late 17th century house, probably designed by Sir William Wilson in 1696 for the 3rd Lord Folliott
Built / Designed For: Sir John Hartopp
House & Family History: A late 17th century house, probably designed by Sir William Wilson in 1696 for the 3rd Lord Folliott, was significantly rebuilt in the 1740s, probably to designs of William Hioron. Four Oaks was purchased from the Folliott family in 1880 with the intent to develop the Estate as a racetrack, with the House as the clubhouse; instead, the House was demolished circa 1900.
Vitruvius Britannicus: C. IVth. pls. 75, 76, 1739.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. IV, 1821.
Title: Destruction of the Country House, The
Author: Strong, Roy; Binney, Marcus; Harris, John
Year Published: 1974
Publisher: London: Thames & Hudson Ltd.
Book Type: Softback
Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume II: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire
Author: Reid, Peter
Year Published: 1980
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat of: Henry Folliott, 1st Baron Folliott, 17th century. Sir John Hartopp, 18th century.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No