The house from a circa 1870 postcard
Built / Designed For: Sir William Feilden, 1st Bt.
House & Family History: Fenisowles was built in 1808 by Sir William Feilden, 1st Bt., who purchased the land from Thomas Ainsworth. Sir William lived here until his death in 1850. Fenisowles was vacated in 1880 by the Feilden family because of pollution in the river which runs alongside the house. Ironically, the pollution in the river came from the cotton mills upstream owned by the family. Fenisowles later became a pleasure ground, until it was closed in the 20th century and left to become a ruin.
House Listed: Not Listed
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Sir William Feilden, 1st Bt., 1810-50; Feilden family here until 1880.
Current Ownership Type: Unknown
Primary Current Ownership Use: Ruinous
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No