DiCamillo Companion

Felix Hall (Fillol's Hall)

  • Earlier Houses: The Filliol family came over with William the Conqueror and were probably in possession of the estate by the 12th century (Felix is a corruption of Filliol). There was at least one earlier house on, or near, the ruins of today's 18th century house.

    Built / Designed For: Sir Anthony Abdy

    House & Family History: Charles Western, later 1st Baron Western, purchased Felix Hall in 1796; by the early 19th century he had made additions in the classical style based on a drawing by Antoine Desgodetz of the Temple of Portunus. Felix had a nine-bay early 18th century center; the bows were probably added in the early 19th century, and the portico was built in 1825. The House was burned by the British Army in 1941; the ruinous shell is Grade II-listed. Bits and pieces of Felix Hall have ended up all over Britain: the Gothick style Library from the House was moved to Monreith House, Dumfries & Galloway; a chimneypiece, probably designed by Robert Adam, is today in the Drawing Room at Buxted Place, Surrey; the Library at Buxted also contains paneling and a chimneypiece from Felix; 18th century Chinese wallpaper from Felix was installed in the Dining Room of Kingston Russell House, Dorset.

    Collections: The Felix Hall Vase, a monumental vase from the 2nd century AD found near Rome, is today in the collection of The British Museum, London. The vase was acquired by Lord Western in 1825 and presented to the museum in 1838 (see photo in "Images" section).

  • Title: Buildings of England: Sussex, The
    Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Nairn, Ian
    Year Published: 1973
    Reference: pg. 466
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: 0140710280
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: No Voice From the Hall: Early Memories of a Country House Snooper
    Author: Harris, John
    Year Published: 1998
    Publisher: London: John Murray
    ISBN: 0719555671
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
    Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
    Year Published: 1981
    Reference: pg. 51
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110351
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Filliol family, 12th-14th centuries. Sir John de Bohun, 14th century. Sir Robert Southwell, 16th century. William Russell, 1st Baron Russell of Thornhaugh, 16th century. Sir Thomas Cecil, early 17th century. Anthony Abdy, 17th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir Anthony Abdy, early 18th century; Abdy family here from 1630 until 1744. John Williams, 1744-61. Daniel Mathews, mid-18th century. Samuel Tyson, late 18th century. Charles Callis Western, 1st Baron Western, 1796-1844; Thomas Burch Western, 1844-73. Capt. H.F. Jackson, 1930s. Geoffrey Houghton Brown, mid-20th century. Milner Gray, 20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Ruinous

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No