The house from an 1830 print
Josiah Wedgwood on a tri-color Jasperware medallion struck in 1984 to mark the 225th anniversary of the company
House & Family History: Etruria Hall was built for Josiah Wedgwood, founder of the famous pottery, near his recently-built Etruria works. The majority of the house's ceilings, ornamental friezes, and chimney surrounds were designed 1781-87 by John Flaxman, one of Wedgwood's star designers. Due to financial reverses, Francis Wedgwood sold Etruria Hall in the 1840s and moved to the smaller, neighboring house of Barlaston Hall. Etruria is a Neoclassical style brick house of five bays by two stories with stone dressings and a central block (with a three-bay pediment) and two flanking pavilions. After ownership by the Shelton Iron and Steel Works in the 20th century, the house was turned into a hotel in the late 20th century.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Josiah Wedgwood, 18th-19th centuries.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel
Ownership Details: Today a conference and wedding hotel