DiCamillo Companion
Scotland

Erchless Castle

  • House & Family History: Erchless was originally built as a classic Norman L-shaped keep with pepper pot turrets in the 14th century; a Georgian extension was added in the middle, followed by the large Victorian extension of 1894.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: At one time the Chisholm estates extended to 450,000 acres and included Strathfarrar, Glen Cannich, and Glen Affric. Today the Estate extends to 12,000 acres from the Upper Beauly to the top of the Phollain at 854 meters and includes salmon fishing on 12 miles of the River Glass divided into six beats.

  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 142, 1853.

  • House Listed: Category B

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Clan Chisholm, 11th century until 1935.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Bed & Breakfast

    Ownership Details: Owned by Erik Maurice W. Robson

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 07794-839-090

    Email: info@erchless.co.uk

    Website: http://erchless-castle.co.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No