DiCamillo Companion

Elvaston Castle

  • Earlier Houses: There was at least one earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.

    House & Family History: During World War II the house was converted into a teacher training college. The Elvaston Castle Estate was sold in 1969 by the 11th Earl of Harrington to Derbyshire County Council, who opened the park to the public in 1970. Since the 1980s Elvaston Castle has been neglected and has fallen into disrepair; since 2008 it has been listed on the English Heritage Buildings at Risk Register. Derbyshire County Council, the owners, estimate that the castle and estate requires £6.5 million in essential repairs.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The house sits in a 320-acre park.

  • Architect: Richard Walker

    Date: Circa 1816
    Designed: Rebuilt house to Wyatt's designs and possibly incorporated his own designs

    View all houses

    Architect: James Wyatt

    Date: Circa 1815-19
    Designed: Rebuilt house in Gothic style for 3rd Earl of Harrington

    View all houses

    Architect: Lewis Nockalls Cottingham

    Date: Circa 1835-36
    Designed: Gothic style alterations for 4th Earl of Harrington

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 138, 1855.

    John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. I, 1818.

  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pgs. 278, 1083, 1188
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Grade II*

  • "Women in Love" (1969 - as the Crichs' country house). "The Opening" (2007 - the watchmaker and blacksmith interiors were filmed in the park).
  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Sir Michael Stanhope, 16th century; Sir John Stanhope, until 1611; Sir John Stanhope, 1611-33. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir John Stanhope, 1633-38; General Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl of Harrington, until 1829; Major-General Charles Stanhope, 4th Earl of Harrington, 1829-51; Leicester FitzGerald Charles Stanhope, 5th Earl of Harrington, 1851-62; Sydney Seymour Hyde Stanhope, 6th Earl of Harrington, 1862-66; Charles Wyndham Stanhope, 7th Earl of Harrington, 1866-81; Charles Augustus Stanhope, 8th Earl of Harrington, 1881-1917; Dudley Henry Eden Stanhope, 9th Earl of Harrington, 1917-28; Charles Joseph Leicester Stanhope, 10th Earl of Harrington, 1928-29; William Henry Leicester Stanhope, 11th Earl of Harrington, 1929-69.

    Current Ownership Type: Government

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Unoccupied

    Ownership Details: Owned by Derbyshire County Council

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only

    Website: https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No