The House from "Morris's County Seats," circa 1875.
Earlier Houses: There has been a house here since the Norman Conquest. The current house incorporates medieval elements, including the vaulted crypt; most of medieval house was destroyed during the Commonwealth, though Elton's Drawing Room, possibly the grandest room in the house, was created in the 1860s in what had been the medieval chapel.
Collections: In the 1920s the contents of Glenart Castle, the family's Irish seat, was incorporated into Elton Hall. The house today contains a fine collection of French furniture and paintings from the 15th to the 19th centuries, including works by Gainsborough, Reynolds, and Constable. There is also an exceptional library that features, among other treasures, early English bibles and the prayer book given to Henry VIII by his sixth wife, Katherine Parr. On July 7, 2005 Christie's sold from Elton Hall a Louis XVI ormolu-mounted carved agate ewer and basin (17th century agate and 1785 ormolu mounts). The ewer and basin were at one time in the ownership of William Beckford, from whence it passed into the collection at Hamilton Palace. In the great Hamilton Palace sale of June 17-20, 1882, conducted by Christie's, the ewer was one of the few pieces selected for illustration in the catalog by means of an engraving. In spite of the 2005 sale, Elton still contains items with a Beckford provenance, specially Japanese lacquer cabinets that were made for the famous collector.
Garden & Outbuildings: The 15th century Gatehouse survives from the earlier medieval house.
Architect: Henry AshtonDate: Mid-19th century
Architect: John CarterDate: Circa 1790
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 2008
Reference: pgs. 232, 889
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Georgian: The Magazine of the Georgian Group, The
Year Published: NA
Reference: January 1999, pg. 15
Publisher: London: The Georgian Group
Book Type: Magazine
House Listed: Grade I
Park Listed: Grade II
Current Seat / Home of: Sir William Henry Proby, 3rd Bt.; Proby family here 1595.
Past Seat / Home of: Sir John Sapcote, 15th century. Sir Peter Proby, 1595-1624; Sir Thomas Proby, 1st Bt., until 1689; John Proby, 1st Baron Carysfort, until 1772; John Joshua Proby, 2nd Baron Carysfort and 1st Earl of Carysfort, 1772-1828; John Proby, 2nd Earl of Carysfort, 1828-55; Admiral Granville Leveson Proby, 3rd Earl of Carysfort, 1855-68; Granville Leveson Proby, 4th Earl of Carysfort, 1868-72; William Proby, 5th Earl of Carysfort, 1872-1909; Sir Richard George Proby, 1st Bt., until 1979; Sir Peter Proby, 2nd Bt., 1979-2002.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home