DiCamillo Companion

Elswick Hall

  • House & Family History: The Jennison family purchased land at the site in 1640. John Hodgson III commissioned the rebuilding of Elswick Hall in 1803. In the late 19th century group of Newcastle citizens purchased the Estate and gave it to the city to for use as a public park (it opened to the public in 1881). Elswick Hall was initially used to exhibit the work of J.G. Lough, a local sculptor, but the increasing costs of running the estate caused the council abandon the House. Elswick Hall was demolished and replaced by a swimming pool.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Elswick Park is still extant and was refurbished at the time of the House demolition.

  • Architect: John Stokoe

    Date: 1803
    Designed: John Stokoe and William Stokoe rebuilt House

    View all houses
  • Title: Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland
    Author: Faulkner, Thomas; Lowery, Phoebe
    Year Published: 1996
    Publisher: Yorkshire: Jill Raines
    ISBN: 0951649426
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Jennison family, 17th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: John Hodgson III, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Government

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Public Park

  • House Open to Public: House Demolished - Grounds Open to Public

    Historic Houses Member: No