DiCamillo Companion
England

Elmore Court

  • House & Family History: As early as 1274 there were Guises at Elmore, when Anselm de Gyse obtained a grant of the Estate from John de Burgh. The core of the current House was begun in the late 16th century by John Guise (died 1588). In the 1720s alterations were made, including the addition of a single-story bow window to the Drawing Room. The year 1807 brought further alterations: a five-bay three-story block was added to the west end of the South Facade (this replaced the original porch tower, screens passage, and gabled offices). Circa 1853 extensive alterations were made to the Hall. The last major alterations were undertaken in 1869 by Sir William Vernon Guise, who added extensions to the West Facade and the rear of the House. These Victorian alterations were funded by the sale of the family's Gloucestershire estates of Rendcomb (1864) and Highnam (circa 1838, their baronetcy being of Highnam Court), with only 1,250 acres remaining at Elmore today. In 2007 the "Autobiography of Thomas Raymond and Memoirs of the Family of Guise of Elmore, Gloucestershire" was published.

    Collections: The contents of the Elmore Court attics were auctioned on June 19, 2008 at Mallams Auctioneers, Cheltenham; 120 lots raised approximately £26,000.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The Elmore Estate spans 1,250 acres and includes a number of farms. The very fine Baroque gates by William Edney were moved to Elmore from Rendcomb, another seat of the Guise family.

  • Country Life: XXXVI, 846, 1914.

  • Title: Country Houses of Gloucestershire: Volume One, 1500-1660, The
    Author: Kingsley, Nicholas
    Year Published: 1989
    Reference: pgs. 90-92
    Publisher: Gloucestershire: Nicholas Kingsley
    ISBN: 0951421700
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • "Country House Rescue" (2008 - TV documentary, episode 1.2).
  • Current Seat / Home of: Anselm and Sarah Guise; Guise family here for 750 years.

    Past Seat / Home of: Anselm de Gyse, 13th century; John Guise, 16th century; Sir William Vernon Guise, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

    Ownership Details: The House can be engaged for weddings and events.

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 01452-720-293

    Email: life@elmorecourt.com

    Website: http://www.elmorecourt.com

    Historic Houses Member: No