Earlier Houses: There is evidence of an earlier house on the site of the current house.
Built / Designed For: Sir John Haggerston, Bt.
House & Family History: During World War II the tennis courts at Ellingham were cultivated to provide food, while the state rooms were used as storage for flour and tea. In 1955 the House became a prep school for boys, a role it served until 1988, when it was purchased by property developers who planned to turn the House into eight flats. These plans fell through and Ellingham stood empty and abandoned for years while vandals stripped lead from the roof and removed architectural elements from the House. In 1995 Ellingham was rescued when it was purchased by Helen and Aidan Ruff, who spent eight years restoring and renovating the House to its former glory.
Chapel & Church: The Haggerstons of Ellingham were Catholics who clung to their faith during the Reformation, during which time the Catholic Chapel in the House harbored priests in a network of secret tunnels and rooms (the Chapel was deconsecrated in 1996).
House Listed: Not Listed
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: Helen and Aidan Ruff; since 1995
Past Seat / Home of: Sir John Haggerston, Bt., 17th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
Ownership Details: Private home, part of which is let as a wedding and corporate entertainment venue.