The House from a 1908 postcard
Built / Designed For: William Duff, Lord Braco, 1st Earl of Fife.
House & Family History: Duff House was designed by William Adam in 1735 for William Duff of Braco and stands adjacent to the ancient royal burgh of Banff. After extensive restoration, the House and grounds were opened in 1995 as Scotland's premier country house gallery. As an outstation of the National Galleries of Scotland, it now houses a rich collection of paintings, furniture, and works of art, including El Greco's "St. Jerome in Penitence," J.G. Cuyp's "Dutch Family Group," and three panels by Francois Boucher.
Comments: Duff is generally considered one of the most important houses in Scotland and probably the most magnificent example of Baroque architecture in Scotland.
Garden & Outbuildings: The House sits in parkland that provides fine walks along the River Deveron. The Duff family mausoleum, designed in the Gothic style, is extant and visible in the woodland walks.
Vitruvius Britannicus: C. V, pls. 58-60, 1771.
Vitruvius Scoticus: Adam, W., pls. 146-148, 1810.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. VI, 1823. Scotland, 1830.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Category A
Park Listed: Listed
Past Seat / Home of: William Duff, 1st Earl Fife, 18th century; Alexander William George Duff, 1st Duke of Fife, 19th century; Duff family here until 1906.
Current Ownership Type: Historic Environment Scotland
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
House Open to Public: Yes
Historic Houses Member: No