The House from an 1845 engraving from "Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated"
The House from the lake from a circa 1911 postcard
Earlier Houses: In the 19th century Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt., demolished the old manor house, and its three-story banqueting house, and replaced it with an Elizabethan style house.
Built / Designed For: Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt.
House & Family History: In 1843, during the premiership of Sir Robert Peel, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert paid a visit to Drayton Manor. The House was demolished in 1919 and the Estate sold in 1949 to the Bryan family, who opened the grounds to the public as a leisure garden, later developed into Drayton Manor Theme Park.
Garden & Outbuildings: In 1946 Tamworth Greyhound Stadium was built on the site of the Drayton cricket ground, followed in 1947 by a motor speedway, which was built nearby. All racing ceased in the 1960s, when the land was developed as a housing estate.
Country Life: XXIII, 450, 1908.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat of: SEATED AT FIRST HOUSE: Bassett family, 11th century until 13th century. Henry Stafford, 8th Baron Stafford, 7th Earl of Stafford, and 2nd Duke of Buckingham, 15th century. Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester, 16th century. Robert Devereux, 3rd Earl of Essex, 17th century. SEATED AT SECOND HOUSE: Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt., 19th century; Peel family here until 1919.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No