House & Family History: Dothill was a moated house, probably with a Medieval core, that was rebuilt in the 18th and 19th centuries. Cecil Weld-Forester, who inherited Dothill in 1811, probably reduced the size of the house and used some of its fabric for the building of his grand new house, Willey Park.
Garden & Outbuildings: The architectural historian Gareth Williams believes that Dothill's sophisticated garden layout was influenced, and possibly designed, by Charles Bridgeman, the great 18th century English garden designer who helped pioneer the naturalistic landscape style. This fits perfectly when one realizes that the Foresters were connected with the court of Queen Anne, whose royal gardener Bridgeman was. Gareth also believes that Dothill may have had a pair of tree house arbors set in a single tree, possibly like the single remaining example at Pitchford Hall.
Chapel & Church: In 1806 George Forester, who, gave sanctuary to French priests at Dothill following the French Revolution, built a Roman Catholic chapel at Dothill Lodge.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Robert Horton, 15th century. William Steventon, 17th century. Sir William Forester, until 1718; William Forester, 1718-58; Brooke Forester, 1758-74; George Forester, 1774-1811; Cecil Weld-Forester, 1811; George Townshend Forester, 1811-45. Alderman Richard Groom, late 19th century; Ernest Groom, until 1944. H.F. Hodgson, 1950s.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No