An 1831 hand-colored engraving of the house
The house from a circa 1920 postcard
Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house on the site of the current house.
House & Family History: In 1923, Wildernesse, as it was then named, was converted into a country club. After serving as a hospital during World War II, the house continued to serve as a country club until 1954, when it was sold to the Royal London Society for the Blind, who renamed it Dorton House, after the society's previous home, Dorton House, Buckinghamshire. The RLSB sold Dorton House in 2013.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 2008
Reference: pg. 298
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Sir Charles Bickerstaffe, 17th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: John Jeffreys Pratt, 1st Marquess Camden and 2nd Earl Camden, early 19th century. Charles Henry Mills, 1st Baron Hillingdon, 1884-98.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family
Ownership Details: Converted into 23 retirement flats in 2019
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No