A 1792 engraving of the house from "Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales"
Earlier Houses: There were a number of earlier houses on, or near, the site of the current house.
House & Family History: In 1932 the Irish Republican Army took over Donamon Castle to set up an IRA training camp. In 1939 Divine Word Missionaries purchased the castle and setup a Christian training campus here; Donamon was later sublet by the Irish Wheelchair Association, who managed the estate as a National Holiday Centre until its closure in 2019.
House Listed: Unknown
Park Listed: Unknown
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Adam de Staunton, 13th century. O'Connor family, 13th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Burke family, here from the 14th century until 1688. Caulfeild family, 17th century.
Current Ownership Type: Charity / Nonprofit
Primary Current Ownership Use: Unoccupied
Ownership Details: Since 1939 owned by Divine Word Missionaries
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No