Built / Designed For: Mary Schuyler St. John
House & Family History: Built as St. John’s Lodge by Mary St. John, the name of the house was changed to Danesbury Park in 1824, when it was purchased by William Blake. After a major 1916 fire, the house was rebuilt, primarily following its earlier designs. In 1939 Danesbury was leased to a TB hospital by the Dewar family; in 1943 the British government requisitioned the house for use as an army bakery. In 1944 the Dewars sold the Danesbury Estate to a hospital management company, who converted the house into a hospital for long-term patient care. In 1993 the hospital moved out and Danesbury Park became derelict. In 1998 the house was restored and redeveloped into apartments.
Garden & Outbuildings: In 1964 some of Danesbury Estate was sold to developers, who built the Danesbury Housing Estate on the site. In 1985 Welwyn Hatfield District Council purchased former estate land that is today Danesbury Park, a 61-acre public park and Local Nature Reserve known for its many varieties of flowering plants and rare breed cattle. The house is today set in 10 acres of parkland.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Mary Schuyler St. John, 1776-84. Major-General Cornelius Cuyler, 1784-1819. William Blake, 1819-52; William John Blake, 1852-75; Arthur Maurice Blake, 1875-1902; Blake family here until 1919. Dewar family, 1919-44.
Current Ownership Type: Flat Owners Company / Condo Association
Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family
Ownership Details: In 1998 the house was divided into six apartments and mews houses developed on the site of the former hospital wards.
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No