The House from "Morris's Views of Seats," circa 1875.
A 19th century watercolor of the House by William Turner of Oxford
The House from a circa 1910 postcard
The House from an 18th century engraving
The House from an 1889 watercolor
An early 19th century engraving of the House from "Peacock's Polite Repository"
The Old House on a needlepoint pillow
The Fytche arms on circa 1725 porcelain
Earlier Houses: The current house stands on the site of the 1589 Mildmay house.
House & Family History: Sir Walter Mildmay, the founder of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, built the first Danbury Place in 1589. The original House was replaced in 1832 by the Round family with the current red brick Tudor style house. Danbury was acquired by the Church of England in 1845 and became the residence of the bishops of Rochester and, later, the bishops of St. Albans; it was during the Church's ownership that the House became known as Danbury Palace (the Church of England sold Danbury in 1892). During World War II the House became a maternity hospital and was later owned by the Essex County Council. In the early 21st century the Estate was divided up, with the House coming into the ownership of Anglia Ruskin University.
Garden & Outbuildings: The House sits within the historic landscape of Danbury Park, a former medieval deer park.
Chapel & Church: At the south end of the House is the Chapel, built between 1860 and 1867 and noted for its traceried windows.
Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published: 1981
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: Owned by Anglia Ruskin University
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Sir Walter Mildmay, 16th cenurty. Fytche (Fitch, ffytch) family, 17th-19th centuries. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Round family, 1832-45. Bishops of Rochester and St. Albans, 1845-92. Brigadier-General J.T. Wigan, 1930s.
Current Ownership Type: School
Primary Current Ownership Use: School
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No